Glossary of Terms

I'm used to writing recipes for other bartenders, so sometimes I say and write things that don't make sense if you don't speak fluent front of the house. That tends to be sub-optimal considering this blog is geared mainly for non-industry folks, the folks on the other side of the bar. I enjoy saying folks because my last bar hated when we used that word while talking to customers.  Here's the quick and dirty if you get lost. 

Glossary of Barspeak:

Single Strain
You essentially pour the contents of the shaker using a cocktail strainer -- either Hawthorne or julep -- into a glass, leaving the remaining ice behind.

Double Strain
Same thing as above, however the contents are also poured through a mesh tea strainer to remove any ice chips or citrus pulp. This is typically only needed when a drink is shaken.

Dry Shake
Shaking ingredients with no ice. This is typically done to drinks that call for egg whites. Shaking without ice allows you to emulsify the egg white properly without over diluting the cocktail.

A champagne coupe, great for bubbles of course, but also pretty great for sipping cocktails. Some people complain when they're served drinks in this glass because it appears to hold less volume than a "martini" glass (FALSE) and these people are nitwits. Don't be a nitwit.  

Garnish with citrus peel
First you'll need a sharp vegetable peeler, nothing fancy, but a thin blade is best. You can also use a sharp knife, but more risk to your fingers will be involved. Peel a one to two inch piece of the citrus, taking care to not cut too deep (avoid the pith) and then squeeze the peel onto the drink, releasing the oils. 

Aromatic Bitters

Angostura is the classic, but there are many new ones on the market, often labeled as "Aromatic" so they're pretty easy to spot. Aside from the obvious bitterness often achieved with gentian/cassia/cinchona, the style is characterized by a strong flavor or baking spices (clove, allspice, etc).   

Collins Glass
The tall, narrow one.

Rocks Glass
The short, squat one.

Hawthorne Strainer
The one with the metal scrunchy on it, good for use on mixing tins.

Julep Strainer

The flat metal one with holes, good for use on mixing pint glasses.

This is a work in progress, more to come! Suggestions welcome.


Popular Posts